Case Consultation Services to Attorneys
Legal cases, either criminal or civil, involving a client’s mental illness or other psychological or neuropsychological issues are often complex and can be challenging to attorneys on both sides. Dr. Leporowski offers assistance to both defense attorneys and prosecutors with the goal of making the case more manageable and understandable, which often does not necessitate an actual evaluation of the examinee. This work is best done when a prior evaluator’s complete file is available for review, including raw psychological test data, which can be ethically forwarded to Dr. Leporowski as a licensed psychologist.
Typical consultation services include but are not limited to:
- A comprehensive assessment of the strengths and weaknesses of the case.
- A review of the procedures and methodology utilized by the evaluator.
- A review of the manner in which the evaluator’s opinions were formulated with particular attention to omission of non-supporting data, bias, acknowledgments of limitations, and adherence to generally accepted ethical and forensic guidelines.
- A review of the evaluator’s use of published relevant research literature.
- An assessment of the nexus (or lack thereof) between the information available, the evaluation, and the opinions formed by the evaluator.
- In seriously deficient or unfavorable reports, assistance in providing information for inclusion in a Motion for Limine to exclude the evaluator’s report.
- Assistance in preparation of questions to be posed to the evaluator in deposition testimony.
- Assistance in the preparation of questions for use in the cross-examination of expert witnesses.
- Provision of a summary of relevant literature that supports or contradicts the evaluator’s conclusions/opinions.
- Review of psychological raw test data and scoring in order to identify possible errors or deficiencies.
In addition, Dr. Leporowski also provides Trial Consultation services including case evaluation and strategy, case theory and presentation, witness preparation, courtroom observation, voir dire strategy, juror questionnaires and assistance with jury selection.
Please review the Specific Services page regarding the specific types of cases in which Dr. Leporowski offers consultative services.